Friday, May 11, 2012

Larry was my friend

I cherish the relationship I have with John's family. We are respectful, loving, caring to each other. We share each others pain. We talk about John. I have tried my best to keep them informed of what is going on. I told them when he died. I told them about his organ donation. I told them about the autopsy. I told them when I received the ashes. I offered them some ashes. (If any of the Horrocks family are reading this, and I have not told you something, please let me know. And I apologize if I have left something out). What I have not been able to tell them is what happened during the 48 hours leading up to his death. I have only told that story beginning to end three times. Once to Jes, once to the lawyer, and once to the grief support group. I can't bring myself to re-live that pain to them. It is unfair to them, I know. I will be able to tell them one day.

The relationship I have with my dad's wife is the total opposite. It is toxic. It is hurtful. It is filled with hate and anger. It is intense. I believe this goes both ways. I'm sure she feels the same about us.

The contrast between the two families is one of the things I am so incredibly angry about. But, I got a little relief today. Here is the story of how that happened.

I posted a snarky comment on a picture on Facebook. The picture was of my dad's head-stone. One of Daddy's wife's friends, Norma, also posted saying that I was being disrespectful and Daddy would not be happy with me. Well, me being very angry and hard headed, let her have it. I showed her how disrespectful I can be. Norma apologized to me in a private Facebook message. I let her have it again. I cussed, I insulted. I was very angry.

Tonight, I got another private message from Norma. (And she publicly apologized, very much to her credit). This message was one that touched me. Touched my tender heart. She said a few things, but the most important one was...

Larry was my friend.


I cannot express how much that one sentence means to me.

Someone was finally listening. And responding. Responding with love for Daddy.

It is funny how I can feel so much better and so sad at the same time.

1 comment:

  1. Nice. Daddy was my friend, too. I miss him all the time and wish he could come back. You are a wonderful person who shouldn't have to do any of this.

    ReplyDelete