Sunday, June 17, 2012

Father's Day

Ok, I will try to do this. Happy Father's Day Daddy. I would normally be calling you on the phone to tell you this. To see how your day was going, and what you would be doing today. Since it is Sunday, I would imagine you would be going to church, maybe out to lunch with friends, then running errands to get ready for the coming week. I am positive you will be going for a walk by the water today. You will also take some time to sit outside and watch the birds and fish. "Wa wa fish are jumping." You will definitely get your daily dose of sun, and eat some good food. If I could, I would make sure you had some cookies.

As sad as I am for us, and for you, this is what is supposed to happen. You died first, before any of your children. You were able to live a full and complete life. I wish it would have been much much longer, but 73 years isn't to shabby.

Betsy, Zak, and I went for a walk last night on a beautiful trail. You were definitely with us every step. All of us talk about you a lot. When we are doing something we know you would like, we say "Daddy would love this." Or we say "I remember being here/doing this with Daddy." You are still living with us Daddy. All of your girls, except Pat (but we are taking care of that), have something meaningful of yours that we have on a chain to wear around our necks, and close to our hearts. We have pictures of you around the house. Zak still has that ugly pig statue thing that use to give me nightmares. When something good happens, or good luck is on our side, you get the credit. You, and John, get the credit for "watching out for us".  You gave Betsy a gift yesterday. You are still with us.

We have some of your ashes. We are thinking about what to do with them. We are going to the 4th of July fireworks on Town Lake this year, and we will take some of the ashes with us. We have little jewelry bags and a little scoop in your box. We are thinking we will spread little bits in your favorite places. We can't bear to let any of them go yet, but one day we will be able to. Or not. We may keep them forever.

Anyway, Daddy, I love you. We all love you and we are so glad you were our Dad.

P.S.
And, once again Father's Day is on my birthday this year. Today is also Maia's birthday. Remember how I used to hate when Father's Day was on my birthday? Maia feels the same way.  So, Happy Father's Day to you, and Happy Birthday to Maia and me.



1 comment:

  1. I miss you, Daddy. I also think you would be somewhere out by the water, maybe walking on the beach. You would have been to Snoopy's for lunch and we all would have called you on the phone. Wherever you are, I hope the sun is shining, you are walking with Sam, and you can see us here trying to do our best. I love you, Daddy. Happy Father's Day.

    ReplyDelete